Merrie, not far from my host family's house, in front of a divine tree--a tree that's been blessed by a shaman.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Surgery Day plus 4

Hi all! Surgery went well. The doctor said the tendon was 95% torn, so practically a total rupture. That however does not change his opinion that I will probably be able to return to Mongolia within 45 days. The hospital was really great. I had a fabulous private room with a flat screen tv that had a bunch of channels in English. The food was really good. I picked my meals from a menu, and I could choose from western, asian, or vegetarian. They also have halal meals because they have lots of muslim patients. I can totally see why this hospital is a medical tourist destination. My whole stay at the hospital which included 3 nights and the surgery only cost about $6500. I highly recommend Bumrungrad if you have medical needs that your insurance won't pay for. I was discharged Monday afternoon. I started PT the day after surgery, and I've been going everyday. I have a giant cast on my foot that weighs about 5 pounds and is really uncomfortable. I haven't been out except to go to PT. And the hospital ferries me back and forth in a wheel chair. However, today at PT they told me I should walk with crutches as much as I can, so tomorrow I'm going to walk over (across the street). I don't have too much pain now. Mostly just discomfort. My mom arrives tonight. I am so glad she's coming. It'll be nice to get out of the hotel room even if it's just to sit at Starbucks for a little while. (and yes there's a starbucks at the hospital as well as a McDonalds). I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. So glad things went well. I'm sure you will get a little cabin fever so it will be good to get out a little once your mom is there! Keep up the hard work and 45 days will go by fast for you!

    take care!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Keep getting better - we want you to go back to what has to be one of the most exotic experiences a blond-blue-eyed American can have. Glad your Mom can come. Take care, Love Nicci

    ReplyDelete