Merrie, not far from my host family's house, in front of a divine tree--a tree that's been blessed by a shaman.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Surgery Day plus 11

Hi all! I had my 10-day follow-up appointment with the doctor yesterday. They took off the giant cast, took out the stitches, and put on a lighter, sleeker cast. It turns out the giant cast was yards of cotton wrapped around my foot. The nurse tore it off by layers so that it looked like the cast blew up. I wasn't sure she was ever going to find my foot in that mound. I am glad to have a lighter cast on, but a little disappointed I didn't go straight to the boot. I have 10 more days of non-weight bearing. I meet with the doctor again, and then I get the boot. Once I have the boot I can start walking on my foot a little boot. I'm still going to pt everyday, but I meet with the physiotherapist doctor tomorrow to find out my progress and whether I need to go everyday. It may be that I can do pt on my own. I'm a little torn about pt. If it's stuff I can do on my own, then that means I'm that much closer to being able to going back to Mongolia. On the other hand, I'm stuck in a non-crutch friendly city with my main source of entertainment is going to pt and getting starbucks afterwards. Having mom here has been great. I would really be stuck if she weren't here. Another PCV from Mongolia who broke a bone in her foot playing volleyball is here now. PC Mongolia is going to start banning PCVs from playing volleyball. I hate it for her, but at least I have someone to hang out with. She has a walking boot and crutches and is more mobile than me, though. Mom and I did manage to go to a flower show at the Swissotel. We rented a wheelchair from the hospital and took a taxi. The flowers were gorgeous and they had some vendors there, so we got in a little shopping. I think we're going to try to go to a mall that has a whole section of traditional Thai crafts. We'll see how that goes. It is nice to get out of the hotel for an afternoon. Well, that's about all the news. I'll write again after my next appointment.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of "volleyball" are you guys playing over there in Mongolia?!?

    Glad to hear you're healing quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrie,
    I'm a little behind on your blog and just learned today of your injury. I'm so sorry!

    My aunt lives in Bangkok and is a doctor of alternative medicine. She's an American but has lived there for nearly 40 years. If you feel you need any help while you are there, please contact me! I'll hook you up with her.

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Jennifer Mattox
    Carnegie Center (859)254-4175
    jmattox@carnegieliteracy.org

    ReplyDelete