Merrie, not far from my host family's house, in front of a divine tree--a tree that's been blessed by a shaman.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Staying Healthy

Hi all! So I have a bit of time on my hands. We have 2 weeks of exams (this week and next) and then a 3-week break before the new semester starts. Because the 2 student classes I taught were not complete courses, I'm not giving any exams so I don't have any student classes this week and next. I just have my teachers' class which is still meeting 3x a week. I thought I'd write about an interesting health practice I've participated in at my school. About a month and a half ago, a student came around with a sign-up sheet and my CP (counterpart in Peace Corps-speak), Ariunaa, explained that the school doctor was going to give out cocktails on Monday and did I want to participate. It cost 2,000 tugruks (about $1.50). I thought, well, she must be throwing a party for the teachers, and of course I want to participate in cocktails! So, I put in my 2,000 tugruks. A couple weeks passed, and I didn't hear about the cocktail party. Then one day, Ariunaa says let's go to the doctor's and get our cocktails. So, I went. It turns out that "cocktails" are not alcoholic cocktails but health cocktails. The doctor makes up this drink made out of egg whites, sugar, and juice from raisins soaked in water (white grape juice, really) and then she infuses it with oxygen so that it foams up. You then eat a glass full of the foam and drink whatever juice is left in the glass. The first time I wasn't real sure about it, but then I figured it wouldn't kill me. It is quite tasty. It's sort of like uncooked meringue. But to enjoy the health effects you have to drink it every day for an extended period of time. So we went every day for a couple of weeks. We took a break over the holidays, and now we're back drinking the health cocktail again. It's supposed to aid in digestion, keep you from getting upset stomach, and help you sleep well. I'm not sure of the actual health effects, but it's tasty, it's not hurting me, and everyone else is doing it so why not. One more way to be part of the community. None of my sitemates have done this or do this at their schools. I'm not sure what kind of training our school doctor has had. She used to be a police officer and though she is very nice and friendly, she looks like she would have made a very intimidating police officer. Starting in a couple of weeks, she is going to massage my leg for me to help with the blood circulation. I asked my Thai doctor about it because the school doctor had offered to do it. The Thai doctor said it would be ok. I know that Mongolian doctors receive massage training. Mongolians go to the hospital quite often to rest and get a massage. Mongolians have this thing that they go on "vacation" to the hospital. They'll tell you they're going to the hospital next week, and you are all concerned, but when you ask what's wrong, they say they're tired and they're going to rest. Certainly a different way to think about health care. Well, I should go work on a lesson plan. I'll write more about the holiday parties later.

No comments:

Post a Comment