Merrie, not far from my host family's house, in front of a divine tree--a tree that's been blessed by a shaman.

Friday, June 11, 2010

I'm in Mongolia!

Hey All! I made it safely, and I'm now with my host family in a sub-district of Ulaanbaatar. Because of PC security policy I can't post the name of the town. But it's a large town of about 25,000 with all of the modern conveniences available in Mongolia. My host family is great! My dad, Tuyaho (not sure how to spell that), owns a small coal mine and has a summer business making windows. My mom, Tsetsegee, runs an internet cafe out of a large room in the back of the house. It's great! I live in a 2-story house with my own room. We have satellite tv but no running water. There is an outhouse that makes me a little nervous because it's just a hole in the ground. It's beautiful here. There are green mountains with some trees. Trees are a rarity in Mongolia. My sister, Bolormaa, is 21 and speaks English. She is going to the US next week. My brother, Dolguun, is 14 but I haven't met him yet because he is in the countryside riding horses. We started our 4-hour language lessons today. Pronounciation is difficult. Tuyaho is a good teacher. He makes sure I get the pronounciation down. The food is pretty good. It is a lot of meat and starches. I need to do some more walking or I'm going to gain weight. The school where our training is is only a 5-minute walk from my house. 2 other PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees) are my neighbors. Well, I need to go do a bit of studying. I'll write again next week. Byartay!

No comments:

Post a Comment